General Communication Tips:
- When you first communicate with a partner, identify yourself as an attender of NorthCreek, without including the word "church."
- Ask what is the best way to stay in touch: newsletter, Facebook, email, text, etc.
- If you write, you may include Bible verses without a reference.
- Focus on encouragement, without criticizing, judging, or giving advice.
- Send birthday/anniversary cards/emails and set a reminder on your phone.
Tips for Safe Communication:
- Do not refer to "missionary" instead use the term "partner."
- Do not mention the specific names of local people, other Christians or missionaries, or prayer requests partners may have put on a newsletter.
- Do not mention the specific country or people group the partners work among, but use regions like Southeast Asia (not Vietnam), Central Asia (not Turkmenistan).
- Do not mention or reference "Christian." Christian organizations, or the sending agency.
- Do not give out or forward partner names, addresses, or emails for any mailing lists.
- Do not criticize the government or religious beliefs in the area in which the missionary serves. Avoid politics.
- Do not include tracts, missions magazines, or Bibles in packages.
- Do not publish any information about the missionary on your personal Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Do not use character substitution for sensitive words (e.g. "praying" )
- DO replace sensitive "Christian" terms with the following:
Sensitive Term Replacement Term God/Lord father Jesus son Holy Spirit spirit Bible/Scripture/Gospel word/book Church family/community Missions/Evangelism/Ministry/Witness/Outreach work/activity/service Conversion/Salvation heart change Prayer thinking/asking Mission Agency team Pastor community leader